Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Creamy, Crunchy, Oh-So-Yummy...Coleslaw

Hey....new oven will be arriving anytime in the next 5 hours. YAY! I hate the waiting around...we have a 5 hour..yes a 5 hour..window of when it will arrive. But YAY!

I did discover I was able to use the stovetop on the old one..so that helped along the way, though I was crazy nervous about using it.

Last month I started frequenting 2 of our local produce stands. I have fallen in love. You can buy some amazing produce. I hate buying produce in the grocery store, it's never fully ripe and is expensive. Last week, I spent 11 dollars on a ton of produce at the stands, I late did the math and found out I would have spend 33 dollars on the same things at our local grocery store. I was in shock! So, if you have a local produce stand..get out there! I know they aren't there year round in all states, we are very luck to be in the south and in warmer weather. I also know they aren't as cheap in other states as well, but give it a try! And....

 LOOK AT THIS ONION!


It's a strawberry onion. You can read about them in this article. Farmers grow them around the edges of the strawberry fields for extra money. Thy are FANTASTIC. I will look forward to strawberry season now, for this onion. Oh yum. They are sweet and don't kill my eyes like other onions when I cut them. 

Cooper was fascinated with the big onion and even wanted to play with it. Crazy kid. He asked daily for me to cook it. Yesterday, I did. I sauteed it up and we had it over my crazy dinner creation last night...leftover vegetarian baked beans mixed with brown rice and soy sauce. Sounds crazy, but it worked. Was so good. Try it!



I also made some ah-amazing coleslaw. I love making different types of coleslaw. You can make them super healthy with vinegar and oil...or the not so healthy, mayo. I made this one with vegan-mayo so it helps with the calories, a bit. It does have ramen in it, an rumor has it you can find whole-wheat ramen in some stores. I haven't been so lucky. It's so good, I devoured this plate after taking a picture of it and went back for a 2nd. I had to make myself not go back for a third...



Creamy, Crunchy, Oh-So-Yummy...Coleslaw

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 packs ramen, discard seasoning
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Hot sauce to taste
Half a bag of shredded coleslaw mix...about 3 cups

Heat oil in skillet over medium. Crush half a pack of ramen and toast for 2 minutes. Add almonds and toast until golden. Be careful not to burn!

Boil about 3 cups of water and add rest of ramen. Boil for 2 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water. Add to a large mixing bowl with coleslaw mix. 

Meanwhile, whisk together mayo, vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and hot sauce. Combine with noodles and coleslaw. Top with toasted ramen and almonds. 


Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment